Manager, Social Media
Saint John, NB and Venice, CA
Civilized is a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture, reflecting the millions of motivated, productive adults who choose to enjoy cannabis as part of a balanced lifestyle. Civilized entertains, informs and engages a North American-wide audience with insightful editorial, in-depth interviews, pop culture updates, trending news and entertainment coverage. We are growing quickly with the help of top talent, investors and board members from Vanity Fair, Details Magazine, Playboy Enterprises and Live Nation.
As a result of this rapid growth, Civilized is looking for a number of Social Media Managers who will be responsible for ensuring active and engaged communities around a defined topic or topics by managing long-lead editorial calendars, monitoring online conversations and participating in those conversations to build brand visibility and thought leadership. The goal is to establish a presence for our brand, as well as to integrate messaging into the community in a compelling and valuable way. Ultimately, our Social Media Managers will act as the face and voice of our brand and manage all community engagement.
These critical roles (two to four) will be based out of both our Venice, California office and our headquarters in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience building audiences and acquiring new customers in all social channels. You will be an expert in tailoring content that is interesting and engaging to our audience, while being on-brand and supportive of the Civilized business priorities. Also critical is experience leading and motivating people across functions. You are excellent at prioritization and are someone who thrives in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. You should have a desire to build a career within a creative company and industry.
This position reports to the Director of Social Media Strategy and works cross-functionally with many teams across the organization.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist with creation, conception, and presentation of social media strategy and integrated marketing campaigns
- Interpret the direction of strategy/planning and creative leads
- Communicate and coordinate client service, production and strategy/planning teams ensuring that community strategy supports overall brand goals and objectives
Management & Moderation
- Listening and reporting
- Utilize social listening tools like Brandwatch and Cision, to generate insights
- Summarize insights and conversations to create actionable reports that lead to optimization of activity
- Develop and maintain content calendars in alignment with an overall marketing/communications plan
- Create and publish relevant content, including writing and sourcing videos/images
- Program channels with relevant content such as live video, webinars, Facebook/Twitter Q&As, etc.
- Serve as the initial point of contact for inbound requests from social media/online properties and the web at large
- Review user generated comments and posts in a quick and timely manner
- Respond to comments and engage, when appropriate, to foster a positive community and add value to the user’s experience
- Enforce the social media guidelines as defined by the brand
- Participate constructively in inter-department and cross-service line communications
- Coordinate with content, marketing, public realations, product and other internal teams to ensure brand consistency, voice, and initiatives
What you bring to the table:
- Experience developing and implementing tactical plans — including inspired and moderated solutions — that build and nurture online communities
- Demonstrated expertise in engaging and activating community groups
- Experience locating and engaging advocates within the community to foster dialogue
- Demonstrated ability to develop on-brand messaging that best represents the voice and tone online and incentivizing user-generated content creation and sharing
- Experience establishing metrics, gleaning community insights and reporting/recommending strategies that achieve marketing goals
- Understanding what is possible on the various technology platforms and the ability to educate and integrate the needs of partners, creative team and developers
- Excellent communication and creative writing skills
- Proficiency in social content management and listening tools
- Five+ years experience in marketing or communications, with at least three years working directly on developing and executing on social media and digital plans
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, advertising, public relations, media studies, business and/or related fields is preferred
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Civilized offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by May 1, 2018