Saint John, NB and Venice, CA
Civilized is a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture, reflecting the millions of adults who choose to enjoy cannabis as part of a balanced lifestyle. Civilized entertains, informs and engages a North American-wide audience with insightful editorial, in-depth interviews, pop culture updates, trending news and entertainment coverage. We are growing quickly with the help of top talent, investors and board members from Vanity Fair, Details Magazine, Playboy Enterprises and Live Nation.
As a result of this rapid growth, Civilized is now seeking two Directors, PR to propel our brand through un-paid channels toward unprecedented heights.
These two senior leadership roles are based out of our Venice, California office and our headquarters in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
The Director, PR will work within the marketing communications team and deliver our corporate communications, public relations and investor relations strategy in the US, Canada and beyond.
To be successful in this role you must be passionate and knowledgeable about media, strategic, creative and well-connected in the US and Canada. You are able to lead our corporate communications strategy and develop an investor-specific approach that would work in conjunction with the strategies being deployed by our COO, CMO and CFO.
A people person, you have charisma, a creative flair and a proven track record of spearheading big publicity campaigns. You have worked across verticals including music and entertainment, managing A-list celebrities and partnerships with big brands. You are comfortable helping to deliver huge experiential events, with passion and creativity.
Key responsibilities include:
- Driving corporate communications, media relations and IR strategy
- Establishing and continuously evolving our publicity strategy
- Managing C-suite stakeholders, big personalities, celebrities and brand ambassadors
- Leading the delivery of large-scale consumer experiential events and activations
- Developing and maintain relationships with national, regional, local and multicultural media
- Identifing opportunities, generating ideas for media coverage and pitching to appropriate media outlets
- Maintaining a consistent and strategic approach to communications and internal documents including media releases, statements, media material, media kits, presentations and briefing materials for spokespeople
- Planning and implementing media conferences and leadership profiling including speaker opportunities and hosting events
- Managing the communications and public relations team
- Managing public relations and experiential agencies and other related agencies
- Leading crisis communicationss and issues management, particularly with key stakeholders
- Monitoring, tracking and reporting on our own public relations activities as well as the competitive landscape
- Making stratically sound decisions, even when faced with ambiguity
What you bring to the table:
- Demonstrable leadership experience at a senior level
- Stakeholder management expertise at the highest level
- Excellent “lifestyle news” knowledge, news sense and editorial planning, with strong creative content writing skills
- Creative publicist at heart
- Proven ability in strategic campaign planning
- Experience across full PR toolkit – experiential, event management, press junkets, stunts, leadership profiling and speaker opportunities, influencer management and crisis communications
- Experience in launching new or innovative products and services, ideally within an international environment balancing global strategy and local market needs
- Proven ability in measuring performance against audience targets & analyzing competitors
- Partnership management skills – you will need to develop close working relationships with local representatives in the market
- Incredibly organized, a true multi-tasker with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative international environment with a unique culture (we have a start-up mentality while being part of a global organization)
- Ten+ years communications experience
- Degree level (or equivalent) education in communications, journalism or a related subject
- Experience working in an international environment / global organization
- Previous experience managing public relations for a brand in sport, digital, mobile, media, entertainment, lifestyle, or brave fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG)
- Management experience
- Proven track record of successful partner (agency) and budget management
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Civilized offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected].