Chief Marketing Officer
Founded in 2015, Civilized is a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture, reflecting the millions of motivated, productive adults who choose to enjoy cannabis as part of a balanced lifestyle. Civilized entertains, informs and engages a North American-wide audience with insightful editorial, in-depth interviews, pop culture updates, trending news and entertainment coverage. We are growing quickly with the help of top talent, investors and board members from Vanity Fair, Details Magazine, Playboy Enterprises and Live Nation.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is the chief architect of Civilized's brand and the strategy we will employ to spread the word and deeply connect with both B2C and B2B audiences across North America, and eventually the world. Marketing is fully integrated at Civilized. As such, the CMO is also responsible to lead the team that will ideate and develop new monetizable products, including plans for both distribution and promotion.
You must bring expertise, innovation and coherence to the design of an overarching brand and marketing strategy for Civilized. A member of the executive team, you will build the marketing organization within Civilized and contribute to the overall growth and success of the business. You will work closely with our founders and your peers to realize the benefits of collaboration and co-creation, and help ensure alignment across divisions.
We need a leader who can build and inspire a team to grow the Civilized brand, equally inspiring the whole company to live the brand.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading the articulation of the Civilized brand, and the plan to activate the brand, working closely with the founders, the executive team and others within the organization
- Leading the development of specific brand marketing campaigns in key markets, targeting key audiences to grow awareness, knowledge, engagement and ambassadorship
- Leading the development of new, creative product ideas, working with our Chief Content Officer, Business Development team and others, with a view of monetizing these products
- Leading the development and execution of product distribution and promotion strategies, working closely with peer teams for both guidance and support
- Leading market research, including customer segmentation
- Building and leading the marketing team, including strategists, tactical planners, a creative team, among others – to be determined with your guidance
- Developing and delivering against Key Performance Indicators as part of the corporate business plan, your divisional business plan and specific campaigns
- Acting as a thought leader and chief brand ambassador within Civilized, working in lockstep with our Publisher
- Protecting and growing the Civilized culture, as an organization that is fun, authentic, hard-working, collaborative and unwavering in its mission to highlight and embrace modern cannabis culture in a socially responsible manner
What you bring to the table:
- A post-secondary degree in business with a concentration in marketing or equivalent
- 10 years’ executive leadership experience in brand development and marketing, and/or product development and marketing within a B2C lifestyle-oriented omnichannel environment
- A track record defining, articulating and amplifying brands, both internally and externally
- A track record building and leading high-performing marketing teams that meet and exceed performance targets
- Proven ability to leverage market research and data to inform plans and achieve results
- A highly collaborative style, with a keen ability to influence and build on the ideas of others
- An ability to identify and cultivate winning partnerships that support the marketing division’s objectives
- An ability to contribute to the Civilized culture and enhance overall enterprise value
- Ambition, passion and creativity
- Highly creative and visionary when it comes to brand, content, voice and ideas that resonate
- Fluent in both the science and art of brand development and marketing, including digital marketing trends
- Experienced in building systems and teams – a seasoned leader who can support and develop other team members
- Experienced in thriving in high-growth, early-stage, entrepreneurial organizations
- Goals and metrics focused
- Energized by fluidity, and highly adaptable to rapidly evolving and changing environments
- A polished communicator and an excellent writer, able to effectively articulate the case for Civilized
- Entrepreneurial and able to embrace experimentation with the ability to quickly pivot when required
- Driven, but fun and people-focused
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Civilized offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by August 1, 2018.