Chief Financial Officer
Saint John, NB or Toronto, ON
Civilized is a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture, reflecting the millions of motivated, productive adults who choose to enjoy cannabis as part of a balanced lifestyle. Civilized entertains, informs and engages a North American-wide audience with insightful editorial, in-depth interviews, pop culture updates, trending news and entertainment coverage. We are growing quickly with the help of top talent, investors and board members from Vanity Fair, Details Magazine, Playboy Enterprises and Live Nation.
As a result of this rapid growth, Civilized is now seeking a motivated and experienced Chief Financial Officer. The successful candidate will drive the overall financial strategy for Civilized and position the company for quick and accelerated growth. This is not strictly a finance and accounting lead position – there is support on all fundraising activities through the development of capital raising strategies. The CFO will be a key advisor and thought leader alongside our CEO, President and Board of Directors. The CFO will be highly visible and autonomous. They will be expected to drive strategic initiatives as the business scale.
Civilized is a company in its growth stage – the environment is fast-paced and requires a strong financial leader to support of the overall goals of the company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing all aspects of financial planning, accounting, budgeting, forecasting and reporting
- Leading and developing the finance and accounting teams
- Driving due diligence during acquisitions
- Directing all aspects of accounting and finance operations
- Maintaining accounting policies, processes and systems
- Ensuring internal controls are properly designed and operating effectively – including liaising with external accountants, investment bankers, etc.
- Advising management, CEO and the Board on the liquidity implications of its short and long-range strategic planning decisions
- Overseeing insurance broker and carrier relationships
- Managing insurance portfolio by collaborating, designing, developing and evaluating programs, suggesting changes as needed
- Lead integration of risk management policies, procedures and processes and advocate organization-wide efforts to protect key assets
- Spearheading strategic operational and financial plans, and implement and measuring the success of said plans
- Leading and directing the financial analysis, commentary, and presentation materials for the CEO and Board of Directors
- Generating outcome-focused financial models that support a wide range of strategic initiatives
- Providing monthly financial reporting on operations and key business initiatives
- Forecasting cash flow positions, related borrowing needs and available funds for investment while ensuring that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Directing the development, implementation and evolution of a forecasting system to accurately predict the timing of cash requirements over appropriate time horizons
- Partnering with each operating lead to identify and establish processes to track and provide proactive and insightful reporting on the key performance indicators most impactful in driving the business
- Working cross-functionally on several strategic initiatives, including but not limited to pricing, customer acquisition, partnerships, competitive analysis, and product strategy
- Managing vendor relationships, including the negotiation and execution of contracts
- Ensuring oversight of compliance with all federal, provincial, and local tax laws and regulations
- Working with external general counsel to manage all organizational legal matters and evaluate need for in-house counsel
- Ensuring the accurate and timely completion of all compliance related filings and registrations
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field of study required – MBA highly preferred
- CPA highly preferred
- Prior experience as a VP of Finance or CFO with a demonstrated track record successfully scaling an organization of a similar size/stage
- IPO experience preferred
- The ability to get into the details and get the job done while at the same time being able to see the bigger picture
- Demonstrated success in developing and applying concepts, practices and procedures of financial planning and analysis.
- Superior forecasting methods and techniques and advanced analytical and quantitative abilities
- An expertise in cohort analysis
- Articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to present complex financial information in an easy to understand format
- Ability to interact comfortably with the executive management team
- Ability to think creatively
- Dedication to working at the highest standards of accuracy and precision
- A collaboratively-focused mindset and the ability to work well with others in a fast-paced and ever-changing business
- Strong and broad financial acumen (e.g., understanding of financial statements, chart of accounts, business intelligence, FP&A processes, etc.)
- Experience in complex modeling (e.g., cash flow, headcount, etc.)
- Superior software and system skills (e.g. Microsoft Excel and Google Sheet) a must
- Salesforce.com experience a plus
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Civilized offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by May 1, 2018.