Civilized is a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture, reflecting the millions of adults who choose to enjoy cannabis as part of a balanced lifestyle. Civilized entertains, informs and engages a North American-wide audience with insightful editorial, in-depth interviews, pop culture updates, trending news and entertainment coverage. We are growing quickly with the help of top talent, investors and board members from Vanity Fair, Details Magazine, Playboy Enterprises and Live Nation.
Civilized is looking for a progressive and unique thinker to join our team as an Associate Editor. Ideally, you have previous experience as a journalist, creative writer or blogger. Youwork well with others but are able to synthesize information quickly and cohesively, and have a keen sense for compelling content within the cannabis lifestyle space.
This role is based out of our Venice, CA office and will report to our Chief Content Officer.
Key responsibilities include:
- Arrange, conduct and transcribe interviews in order to develop original content on cannabis as well as other lifestyle topics that matter to today’s cannabis consumer
- Research current political issues and events in order to develop thought-provoking commentaries that drive the conversation around cannabis culture
- Manage a team of freelancers whowill report on current events and who also interview prominent influencers and experts and contribute regular columns to Civilized
- Collaborate with the editorial team to develop ideas for feature stories, series and columns
- Monitor social sites for ideas, trends and themes that will inform and generate content
- Write headlines, use SEO tools and perform tasks to optimize the reach of each article or post
- Other editorial tasks as assigned
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in a similar role
- A history of publishing news and feature stories for media outlets, prefereably online
- A creative and curious disposition
- A knack for speedy and succinct writing
- A familiarity with telling stories in print, video and audio formats
- A passion for current events and topical issues as well as strong judgement for assessing newsworthy events
- A competitive drive to write posts that people love and share
- The ability to juggle multiple assignments
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Sense of humor
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Civilized offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by Friday, August 31, 2018.