Considering you read this website, we’re guessing you’re at least fairly knowledgeable when it comes to marijuana. But even experts don’t know everything about a subject.
Here are 10 facts we’ve learned recently about cannabis you probably don’t know:
1. There are more marijuana dispensaries in Colorado than Starbucks or McDonald’s locations.
2. Iceland has the highest percentage of marijuana users in the world with 18.3 percent of the population using cannabis.
3. California, Kentucky, Hawaii, Tennessee and Washington grow 80 percent of America’s marijuana.
4. California cannabis growers use nine percent of the state’s household electricity, and 15 percent of its water consumption.
5. You would need to smoke 1,500 pounds of marijuana in 15 minutes to die, and even then it wouldn’t be due to an overdose but rather carbon monoxide poisoning.
6. Since 2015, marijuana has been the fastest growing industry in the United States. If it becomes legal in all 50 states, it will become larger than the organic food market.
7. According to the UN, about four percent of the world uses marijuana.
8. Every day, 6,000 Americans try cannabis for the first time.
9. The amount of money made off cannabis crops (both legal and illegal) is greater than the money made off corn and wheat crops combined.
10. There are four people in the United States who get free marijuana courtesy of the federal government.