As legalization spreads across North America, more and more people are trying marijuana for the first time. And thanks to careless newbies, more and more dogs are also trying cannabis.

"Dogs are getting into people's stash, brownies or suckers, and basically they've been pretty messed up by it," Dr. Jeff Goodall — a Canadian veterinarian — recently told the CBC.

"Dogs are extremely sensitive to much lower doses than people are," he added, noting that overdoses can make dogs seriously ill.

Luckily there are a few unmistakable signs that your dog has had a dangerous amount of weed: uncontrollable urinating, wobbling limbs and excessive vocalizing (whining, whimpering, barking, etc.). So if you notice a few medicated cookies are missing, and so is your dog's bladder control, then you should take it to the vet ASAP.

And for your pet's sake, it's best to be upfront about what happened. Avoiding the issue can cause even more harm by delaying treatment.

"Because THC stops vomiting, we need to either flush their stomach or give them activated charcoal," Goodall explained. "[We] keep them in one of our treatment areas where we have a lot of padding around because they are still wobbly. Then we let them ride it out."

And for Canadian pet owners who are looking forward to buying cannabis once it's legal this summer, Dr. Goodall has some advice: "People need to treat it like any other prescription medication," he said.

So keep it far away from from your pup's four-legged reach.