Gerard Butler is lucky to be alive after nearly suffering a fatal overdose...of bee venom. No, the Scottish actor wasn't partying too hard near an apiary when he decided to shoot up with stingers. He turned to venom to cope with the strain of working on the set of 'Geostorm,' which opens next weekend.

"I had a lot of inflammation," Butler told Seth Meyers yesterday. "I was hanging a lot on wires in this 65 pound space suit, and that's fine for a couple hours, but after five weeks, you're hurting."

So he turned to his nutritionist, who recommended taking bee venom, which supposedly has anti-inflammatory compounds that could've helped Butler battle through the gruelling shoot if it'd been injected properly. But the bee-venom dealer that he flew in wasn't very good at his job. And yes, Butler realizes how sketchy this whole situation sounds in retrospect.

"It's so shady, and we're just getting started," he told Meyers. "So [the venom dealer] goes, 'Check this out. This is probably 2.3 bee stings.' And he gives me a shot in the arm and goes, 'We've just got to check that you're not allergic.'"

After Butler passed the allergy test, it was time for the real shots. "He gives me about ten [which is] 23 bee stings. And then I have the worst reaction. I get ants crawling in my pants. And in my head. And suddenly my arm starts swelling up and I get all blotchy. And I'm sure my heart's gonna explode."

When the reaction subsided, he and the dealer realized that they'd injected way too much venom at once. So lesson learned, right? Wrong. Butler tried injecting himself again a few days later, figuring that the bad experience was just a dosing issue. The doctors who had to treat his stinger overdose were not impressed. Check out what happened in the clip above.



Have you ever given cannabis as a gift?