Eggnog Is More Dangerous Than Marijuana

Nothing jumpstarts the Christmas spirit quite like a glass of eggnog — that sweet, creamy yuletide tradition. But if your eggnog isn't prepared carefully, you could wind up spending a silent night in the intensive care unit.

The raw eggs that are commonly used to make the Christmas drink are susceptible to salmonella contamination, which can lead to potentially deadly cases of food poisoning. Like in 1982, when four residents of a retirement home died after drinking a homemade batch of eggnog that was contaminated with salmonella. Some think you can sterilize your nog by mixing in some whiskey or rum, but the FDA says that adding a shot or two isn't enough to kill the deadly bacteria if it crashes your Christmas party. 

And eggnog is even worse if you inhale it. That actually happened to Ryan Roche, a Utah who won an eggnog-chugging contest at a 2014 office party by downing an entire quart-sized carton of nog in 12 seconds. But not all of it went into his stomach. Some of it took a detour to his lungs, where the nog caused a life-threatening infection. Roche ended up being hospitalized for three days with severe nausea, fever and chills. In other words, eggnog pneumonia. Luckily, he recovered thanks to antibiotics.

So if you see anyone passing out homemade eggnog at a Christmas potluck, or if a co-worker challenges you to a nog-chugging competition, you might want to skip the Christmas drink beverage and enjoy a festive marijuana strain instead. After all, marijuana is much less dangerous than eggnog. 

Latest.

Xiuhtezcatl Martinez has rapped for everyone from Bernie Sanders to Emerald Cup goers. Hailing from a family indigenous to Mexico, this hop-hop artist and environmental activist works to spread his own message about climate change, anti-colonialism, and the Earth's need for healing. "We all have our own medicine to share with the world," Martinez told Civilized.

Can we see some ID please?

You must be 19 years of age or older to enter.