'Tis the season for partying - and what better time than the holidays to combine all the vices (sugar, booze, cream, and alcohol) into a tasting course of delicious, sinful beverages?
Note: you'll feel the alcohol first, followed by the cannabis an hour or more later. Using alcohol and cannabis together magnifies their effects - a fact novice users should remember if they plan to get crossfaded. Consider yourself warned.
1. Cannabis Eggnog (via marijuana.com)
4 grams or more of cannabis, depending on your tastes
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum (Optional: you're going to be high)
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cheese Cloth or something to strain out the weed.
1. Put the weed, milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 30-60 minutes. If you have a kitchen thermometer, you can use that to ensure the milk stays around 160˙F. Failing that, keep it steaming while stirring constantly to prevent it from scalding to the bottom of the pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until barely fluffy. Whisk cannabis and milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
3. Put the mixture into that saucepan and cook over low medium heat, stirring for three minutes, or until just slightly thickened - don't let it come to a boil.
4. Strain using cheese cloth or a strainer to remove the weed and the cloves.
5. Once strained, stir in rum, cream, two teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg.
6. Refrigerate overnight before serving (though got ahead and sneak a taste-test. We're not your mom.)
2. Buttered Rum (via High Times)
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cannabutter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dark rum (optional)
Bring water, butters, sugar, spices and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the rum, if using. Serve hot, and accompany with a fat joint.
Be sure to know the potency of your cannabutter to determine your desired dose. Based on the strength of your cannabutter, you can use more or less.
3. Pot Toddy
1 tablespoons medicated honey ( Baked Bees THC Bear has 20 mg of THC per tbsp)
2 fluid ounces boiling water
1 1/2 fluid ounces whiskey
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 slice lemon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Prep: five minutes
Ready In 10 minutes
Pour the medicated honey, boiling water, and whiskey into a mug. Spice it with the cloves and cinnamon, and put in the slice of lemon. Let the mixture stand for five minutes so the flavors can mingle, then sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg before serving.
4. The Dude Abides (via The Stoner's Cookbook)
This White Russian derivative is named after The Big Lebowski's iconic Dude, lover of bowling, smoking herb and sweet seasonal drinks. This version gets warmed up with caffeine and cannabis cream: a "hippie speedball," as High Times describes it. "Perfect for a night of adventure, mystery and rolling gutter balls!"
2 1/2 cups fresh brewed coffee
1/2 cup cannabis-infused cream
1/2 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup vodka (optional)
In a medium saucepan, stir together the coffee, cannabis cream, Kahula and vodka over medium heat until thoroughly warmed.
5. Bud Rum (via Gizmodo)
This is more of a long game, but the end result is worth it: a solid supply of Bud Rum means you can infuse cannabis into any of your favourite rum cocktails, from a classic Cranberry Rum Punch to a Mai Tai.
This recipe yields between 30 and 40 doses.
a stove and oven
a small pot
the other kind of pot (about one-eighth of an ounce/3.5 grams)
high-proof potable alcohol
a half-pint jamming jar
a fine-mesh strainer
A candy thermometer will do
knife/cutting board (or a pot grinder, or small blender)
a kitchen timer
chopsticks (wooden takeout version)
a couple of twist-ties
a cheese cloth
a vial and dropper
The higher the proof, the better. Bacardi 151 (which is 75.5 percent ABV) works.
1. Chop. Remove seeds and stems, and chop it up using a sharp knife. The finer the better. You can also pulverize it in a small blender, or a hand grinder.
2. Bake. Put the chopped medicine onto a folded sheet of aluminum foil. Heat the oven to 325 degrees F and bake on the middle rack for five minutes. This heat is enough to draw out the THC, but not hot enough to vaporize it. When you pull it, out you may notice that the weed has darkened in color. This is good.
3. Pour. Add 2 ounces (a 1/4-cup) of your high-proof alcohol into the heat-ready mason jar, then add in the toasted plant material and give it a little stir.
4. CAUTION: Now comes the tricky part. High-proof alcohol is extremely flammable, so make sure this doesn't boil over. Make a little double-boiler by breaking the chopstick in two, then lashing it together with a few twist-ties. Put the chopsticks in the small saucepan to keep the jar slightly elevated from the bottom, which may get too hot. Put the uncovered jar on top of the chopsticks, then add water to the saucepan (being careful not to get any in the alcohol/medicine mixture). Add enough that the water line comes almost up to the alcohol line.
5. Boil. Put your digital thermometer into the alcohol solution, open your windows and/or turn on your fan to minimize flammable alcohol vapours. Set your burner to low. Once the solution reaches 165 degrees (Fahrenheit), start timer for 20 minutes. Keep the temperature it in between 165 and 170 for the entire 20 minutes (pure alcohol boils at about 173). The easiest way to do that is by using a fan. If the temperature creeps above 170, blow the fan on it until the temperature dips. You need to be standing by for the entire 20 minutes, adjusting the burner/fan and keeping it at optimum temperature. Babysit it, basically.
6. Strain. After 20 minutes, turn off the burner and carefully lift the jar out of the water. Let it cool down a bit then. Pour it through a fine-mesh strainer and funnel into a vial. Put the remaining solids in the cheese cloth and squeeze the hell out of them.
Start slow: 20 drops max. Depending on the potency of the plant material, and how much of it you used, one milliliter may be a strong dose. "You're not going to get drunk off this," says the folks at Gizmodo. "If you drank enough of it to get drunk you would probably lose your mind."