More than 60 million Americans don't know that cannabis is still illegal for medicinal or recreational use in their state, according to the Civilized Cannabis Culture Poll. To celebrate 4/20 this year, Civilized partnered with PSB to conduct a survey of more than 1,600 North American adults to explore modern cannabis culture - including whether or not people know if marijuana's still prohibited in their home state.
Based on our results, just over half (53 percent) of Americans that live in a state where marijuana is illegal for medical or recreational use incorrectly believe that it is legal. If we extend that number to the total population of prohibition states, then approximately 63,084,156 people might mistakenly think that marijuana is legal where they live.
And that can get people in big trouble. People like Lon Victor Post of Arizona, who thought that his state had legalized recreational marijuana use last November. The Grand Canyon State did vote on the issue on Election Day 2016, but the ballot initiative lost by a narrow margin. That was bad news for Post, who was caught puffing away in a parked car last January in Arizona, blissfully unaware that he was committing a felony.
If you're not sure about the legality of cannabis in your state, we've got an interactive guide for you. Our interactive map will tell you the legality of marijuana in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C. It also has info on how to get a medical marijuana card, where to find licensed marijuana retailers and dispensaries in legal states, and what sorts of punishments if you pull a Lon Post and forget that cannabis is illegal where you live.
Check out the map here.
Civilized partnered with PSB to conduct a survey of more than 1,600 North American adults to explore modern cannabis culture. PSB is a world renowned global strategic communications advisory based in Washington D.C. With roots in innovative political campaign strategy, PSB is a full-service research and insights agency engaging blue-chip organizations across all sectors.
Read more from our series of stories on the 2017 Civilized Cannabis Culture Poll:
- Here's Who Canadians And Americans Don't Want Using Cannabis
- Poll Shows Cannabis Consumers Defy Stereotypes, Exercise More Than Non-Users
- If You're A Cannabis User, You're More Likely To...
- Joints And Blunts Are Still The Most Popular Way To Get High, Poll Finds
- 420 Things You Didn't Know About 420
- Why 420? The Story Behind Marijuana's Biggest Day
- Survey Says: A Healthy And Active Life Includes Cannabis
- Poll Shows Trump Administration Is Out Of Step With Public Opinion On The Safety Of Marijuana
- 74 Percent Of Republican Voters Think Some Form of Cannabis Should Be Legal, Says Poll
- Our Poll Gives The Cannabis-Cinema Combo Two Thumbs Up